Would You Rather Listen to the Lesson?
Get a Piñata
- Make sure you pick the candy that goes inside.
- It is best if you get a piñata that you actually have to fill yourself. This way you can fill it with pre-counted bags of candy.
- I would limit it to 10 or less types of candy / items (You don't have to use candy obviously. Pencils, Erasers, and Other School Supplies are Great Too).
Make a Chart
- Create a chart where the students will count and record the numbers of the different types of candy / items.
- For Pre-Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra 1 I would have them all count and fill in the chart for all of the candy as a class. This will insure they all have the same easy probabilities to calculate.
- For Algebra 2 and Higher I have them bust open the pinata and grab their candy individually. Then they fill in their own charts based on their own candy gathering. Then I have them calculate the probabilities.
Sample Probabilities to Find
- Ratio of M&M's to Total Candy
- Probability of Randomly Pulling a Starburst from the piñata
- Probability of Randomly Pulling out something that is not a MilkyWay
Here is your free content for this lesson!
Theoretical and Experimental Probability - PDFs
12-7 Assignment -Theoretical and Experimental Probability (FREE)
12-7 Bell Work - Theoretical and Experimental Probability (FREE)
12-7 Exit Quiz - Theoretical and Experimental Probability (FREE)
12-7 Guide notes SE - Theoretical and Experimental Probability (FREE)
12-7 Guided Notes Teacher Edition (Members Only)
12-7 Lesson Plan (Members Only)
12-7 Online Activities (Members Only)
12-7 Video Lesson (Members Only)
12-7 Slide Show - Theoretical and Experimental Probability (FREE)
Theoretical and Experimental Probability - Word Docs & PowerPoints
To gain access to our editable content Join the Algebra 1 Teacher Community!
Here you will find hundreds of lessons, a community of teachers for support, and materials that are always up to date with the latest standards.
Want access to everything?
Simply click the image below to Get All of Our Lessons!
Click Here to Get All of Our Lessons!